Sungei Ujong Club was founded in 1887 by the British Government servants and planters.
It was originally housed at the old High Court building along Jalan Datuk Hamzah.
Originally, membership was exclusively for the British and the local Royalty.
In 1954, after 67 years of existence, three locals were invited as honorary members. They were Tuan Sheikh Ahmad, Mr. Lee Fong Yee and Dr. J. Samuel, who were leaders of their respective community. Datuk Mahima Singh, a senior member was later invited as a honorary member.
W.F.B. Paul, the British Resident of Sungei Ujong from 1891 to 1894, was the first President of the club.
In 1959, the club shifted to the present premises which was then the Yang DiPertuan Besar’s old Istana Hinggap. The first Agong stayed here for several years. Tunku Imran was born in the room where the present office is situated.
In 1966 Mr. Lim Ewe Law was elected as the first Malaysian President of the club.
The club now has a new swimming pool with a jacuzzi, steam baths in the new washrooms, a gymnasium and a banquet hall.
The new banquet hall was officially declared open on the 2nd of February 2002, by His Royal Highness, DYMM Tuanku Yang DiPertuan Besar, Negeri Sembilan Darul Khusus.
The Club was conferred Royal Status on the 2nd of February 2002 which was approved by the Registrar of Societies on the 12th of March 2003.